Oral SYK Inhibitor for IgA Nephropathy:
- A major function of the kidneys is to eliminate and dispose of waste products by filtering the blood and producing urine.
- IgA Nephropathy (IgAN) is a chronic autoimmune disease associated with inflammation in the kidneys that diminishes their ability to filter blood.
- IgAN is the most common primary glomerular disease. There are an estimated 82,500 - 165,000 cases in the US, with a higher prevalence in Asia.
- Outside of angiotensin blockade (primarily for blood-pressure control), there are no disease-targeted therapies for IgAN.
- Pre-clinical data show that fostamatinib, Rigel's oral SYK inhibitor, decreases SYK activation in the kidney, resulting in the reversal of the inflammation in the glomeruli and improvement in kidney function.
- Rigel expects Phase 2 results at the end of 2016.