Oral AMPK agonists:
- AMPK is a critical enzyme that regulates metabolic/energy pathways in cells.
- Activation of AMPK has been shown to improve measurements of muscle endurance in animal models.
- Rigel has developed a series of orally bioavailable small molecules that activate AMPK in a variety of cell types, including muscle cells.
- Our current lead compounds have demonstrated efficacy in animal models of endurance testing as well as diabetes.
- Rigel has initiated preclinical development with a lead molecule with the goal of initiating human clinical studies in 2013.